The purpose of CMDS symposia is to bring together scientists with different backgrounds, working on continuum theories and discrete mechanical and thermodynamical systems in the fields of mathematics, theoretical and applied mechanics, physics, materials science and engineering. The spirit of CMDS meetings is to stimulate an extensive and active interdisciplinary research. The broad interdisciplinary character, the limited number of participants and the informal and friendly atmosphere, made these meetings well-acknowledged places of highly fruitful contacts and exchange of ideas, methods and results.
History of CMDS
CMDS 1 – Kielce (Poland), 1975
CMDS 2 – Mont Gabriel (Canada), 1977 – Proceedings
CMDS 3 – Freudenstadt (Germany), 1979 – Proceedings
CMDS 4 – Stockholm (Sweden), 1981 – Proceedings
CMDS 5 – Nottingham (UK), 1985 – Proceedings
CMDS 6 – Dijon (France), 1989 – Proceedings
CMDS 7 – Padderborn (Germany), 1992 – Proceedings
CMDS 8 – Varna (Bulgaria), 1995 – Proceedings
CMDS 9 – Istanbul (Turkey), 1998 – Abstracts
CMDS 10 – Shoresh (Israel), 2003 – Website
CMDS 11 – Paris (France), 2007 – Website
CMDS 12 – Kolkata (India), 2011 – Website
CMDS 13 – Salt Lake City (USA), 2014 – Website
CMDS 14 – Paris (France), 2023 – Website
Proceedings of the CMDS symposia
- CMDS2: Continuum Models of Discrete Systems: Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Continuum Models of Discrete Systems Held at Mont Gabriel, Quebec, Canada, June 26-July 2, 1977 edited by J. W. Provan, University of Waterloo Press, 1978.
- CMDS3: Continuum models of discrete systems (CMDS3) : proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Continuum Models of Discrete Systems held at Freudenstadt, Germany, June 24-30, 1979 edited by E Kröner; K -H Anthony; University of Waterloo Press, 1980.
- CMDS4: Continuum models of discrete systems 4 : proceedings of the fourth International conference on continuum models of discrete systems, Stockholm, Sweden, June 29-July 3, 1981 edited by Olof Brulin; Richard Kin Tchang Hsieh; Amsterdam ; New York ; Oxford : North-Holland, 1981.
- CMDS5: Continuum Models of Discrete Systems (Proc.CMDS5, Nottingham, 1985), edited by A.J.M.Spencer, Rotterdam (1987)
- CMDS6: Continuum Models and Discrete Systems-I, (Proc. Conf. CMDS6, Dijon, 1989), ed. by Maugin, G Longman, London, UK and J.Wiley, New York (1991). Continuum Models and Discrete Systems-II, (Proc. Conf. CMDS6, Dijon, 1989), Longman, London, UK and J.Wiley, New York (1991).
- CMDS7: Continuum models of discrete systems, CMDS7: proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Continuum Models of Discrete Systems, held at Paderborn, Germany, June 14 to 19, 1992 K.-H. Anthony, H.-J. Wagner eds., Trans Tech Publications, 1993
- CMDS8: Continuum Models of Discrete Systems , Proc. 8th Int. Symposium (Varna, 1995), ed. K. Z. Markov. World Sci., 1996.
- CMDS9: Proceedings of the CMDS9 Conference (Istanbul, Turkey, June 29-July 3, 1998), E. Inan & K.Z. Markov (ed). World Scientific Publishing Company 2001.
- CMDS10: Continuum models and discrete systems : [proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Continuum Models and Discrete Systems, Shoresh, Israel, 30 June – 4 July 2003], Bergman, David J. ed. Kluwer Acad. Publ. , Dordrecht [u.a.] ; 2004.
- CMDS 11: Continuum models and discrete systems CMDS 11 : proceedings of the International Symposium held in Paris July 30th-August 3rd 2007. D Jeulin; Samuel Forest editors, Paris : Mines ParisTech, Les Presses, 2008.
- CMDS 12: Continuum Models and Discrete Systems Symposia (CMDS-12) Journal of Physics: Conference Series Volume 319 Number 1 Bikas K Chakrabarti 2011 J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 319 2011